Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Introduction to my blog

Hello there classmates.  I am happy that you all stop by to give me a visit.  I am so excited about my new blog site, I just don't know what to do with myself.  I am trying to really figure this course out and it is kind of hard, this darn new technology is something.  I am discussing my favorite technology, in which, all of it is but I must say I really like the eBooks. The eBooks make it easier for teachers and students to view, communicate, and share information, regardless of location.  I feel the electronic books support literacy learning.  Students learn how to manipulate the font size and page orientation to suit their individual preferences, highlight text to mark key passages, insert notes in response to the text, access the built-in dictionary to develop new vocabulary, and use a text to speech feature to practice reading fluency.  Teachers can learn much about their students' skills and progress as readers.  Ebooks also support comprehension, improve fluency, and enhance the reading experience.  It's more convenient for students.  Instead of waiting for library day at school, students can log in at any time and browse digital bookshelves (provided they have access to a computer and a password).  In fact, some e-picture books have computerized whiteboards so more children are experiencing literature on big screens.  WOW, talk about an upgrade with technology!!!  Some researchers consider providing kids with easy access to an abundance of nonfiction and fiction books, however, on the other hand, other researchers feel that children will lose a sense of what books are and how they feel without holding and touching and learning how to take care of them.  So, what do you all think, are electronic books a help or a hinderance?  Well it does set technology into instruction while saving the schools money on books. 

My Twitter name is EBurke_ClassyE

The video about eBooks in the classroom:

The link to an article, Are eBooks Any Good?


4 comments:

  1. Edwina, I enjoyed reading your blog post! You made some excellent points about the value of E-Books. I also really like the idea of using E-Books in the classroom. I am fortunate enough to work in a school system that is very blessed. We have access to many e-readers and iPads in our classrooms and in our media center. I have found that these e-readers are especially helfpul for our special needs students and those who may have a lack of interest in reading hard-copy books. The technological component really piques their interest and therefore, helps them learn! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK... Let's try this again! I SOOO wish my school system would convert to eBooks! My Biology class textbooks are so old the pages are literally falling out of them! I think eBooks could be the solution! I know it requires a large initial investment, but I think it would pay off in the end. Some of my kiddos didn't have textbooks until the end of the first nine weeks! That wasn't fair to them!

    I removed one of the two posts that was posted here, and deleted both. So... If two show up, they will just stay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! The one good thing about having an iPod in the classroom instead of a netbook or laptop is that you don't have to worry about viruses, technical hang-ups and the time it would take to fix frequent pc issues. Well done!

    ReplyDelete