Thursday, November 15, 2012

iPads and its Effects in the Classroom

I found some very interesting articles about the effects of the iPads in the classroom.  Edudemic has an article about the early results of an iPad classroom @ http://edudemic.com/2012/11/the-early-results-of-an-ipad-are-in.  Also, another article explaining where education has gone wrong with technology @ http://edudemic.com/2012/11/where-education-has-gone-wrong-with-technology.  Now, I want to say that I do agree with the use of the iPad in classroom instruction because it is by far, a great motivator and engager, however, as I have argued, does it sustain the students' motivation and engagement levels when they are put away (iPads). 
I researched this question on the Web and found a lot of articles and studies about this same question and majority of the results were about the costs; the schools funding of the iPads.  However, I did come across an interesting article @ http://innovativescholar.com, in which, the author also asked the question is the iPad the correct tool to aid learning in education.  Well, his answer was yes and no and he thoroughly explained each. 
Well, finally, I found a very informative argument on the effectiveness of technology in the classrooms/education.  It explains my concept of all the usage of technology in the classroom; is it improving learning?  Please read it and see if you agree with the author and her question, Do we really need technology to learn?  The link is http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/technology-in-schools-faces-questions-on-value.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I found it to be a very debateable topic!!!!
 


5 comments:

  1. Hey Edwina!
    I like your page. You have shared some valuable information. I think this is a great debate. I personally feel we do not have to have technology to learn. However, at the end of the day it is my job to prepare students to be contributing members of society. Every major corporation uses computers and some form of technology to interact with their client base. So, I think it is important to teach our student how to be technology wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting. I agree with the fact that technology in general is a great motivator for students. However, these students will need to perform at the same levels when the technology is put away. That being said, I still believe that technology is a great tool for education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've done your research! I too think this is a great debate. Students can and do need to learn without technology but, technology is everywhere we turn so therefore we must prepare our students for what they will face "in the real world". Technology does motivate students to learn and some learning styles learn better with this option. Children have video games at home and even the cartoons today are fast paced and action filled. Sometimes it is a struggle to keep their attention in the classroom without the use of technology. However, I do feel there should be a balance between learning with and without technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the balance of technology and regular instruction. There are times and lessons in which using iPads and technology make learning more engaging and students tend to pay attention more to the difficult lessons when this is actively used. By using iPads in smaller group or intervention settings I feel students can have just enough balance in their day to where they are actively engaged in technology at various points and settings. In the other periods in between as an educator it is just as important to make lessons engaging requiring active participation as not to lose attention spans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you all, I must agree with everyone, in the end there has to be a balance with and without the use of technology and our students do need to know about these technologies. I enjoyed our debate conversation. Thanks for all the replies.

    ReplyDelete